Friday 3 August 2007

Shift work

Well, with work still to finish and a ton of shaping left (the plan is to start glassing tomorrow night and hopefully have it all finished by the early hours of Monday) I now have my very own head shaper (she insists she's head shaper "I'm no assistant!") who is currently in the newly fitted "shaping room".
As you'll see in the pictures below, the room is almost completely wrapped in clear dust sheets so we can shape to our hearts content, around the clock, and not make a complete mess of the room.

I've found a design flaw in my shaping stands. A bit more timber tomorrow will fix that though. They are fine for roughing the shape in, but once a bit of stability is needed they won't be up to the job.
I'm going to swap the 4 leg stands you see in the earlier stands post for a sort of brace between the 2 stands (keeping them about 5'6" apart) and then 2 legs coming down off the pedestal legs out to the sides at a 45° angle. I'm pretty confident that will hold it perfectly well.

The great thing is - I will be able to keep them fully collapsible that way. As it stands (no pun intended) they come apart by undoing 2 bolts (the legs/bases are nailed on right now) - the way I plan to make the new legs should be quick and also a bolt-on piece making them easily stashable and without needing to use concrete.

Being almost midnight it is far too late to be using power tools, so right now all the roughing in is being done with 60 grit on a sanding block I made a few days ago. It's a slow process but at least work on the boards is progressing. I used a hand saw at a very acute angle to hack off some of the foam at the tail end of the board, which has probably saved at least half an hour of shaping ("Head shaper" informs me she thinks it saved more like an hour)
Unfortunately the saw slipped at one point and missing all my own limbs (dunno how) I caught her on the wrist, not enough to draw blood but it did bring a bit up to the surface.
Sorry boss - it won't happen again; next time I'll aim for my own arms.

Anyway - I must get back to work so I have happy clients and money to head to France with. I'll leave you with a picture of Sam hard at work shaping in the newly draped room. More to follow as the build progresses.

No comments: