Monday 30 July 2007

Unexpected discovery...

I ended up gluing the stringer in late last night so I'm a bit ahead of where I expected to be today.

While sanding the 4" foam down to the stringer I glued in I decided to see if my Dad had a power sander I could make use of. I found one... and next to it was a power planer - I didn't know he had one so I was pretty surprised when I saw it.

Using the planer I've taken a fair bit of the foam down to just above the stringer and will finish it off with a surform and sandpaper.

Having a planer makes really short work of mowing the foam down to a decent thickness, hand sanding it with 60 grit was taking forever.


Problem:
The glue (PVA) I used on the stringer has let go near the tail, I'm going to have a go at sticking it back again later but if that fails I might have to give in and buy something like Gorilla Glue, not ideal but I'll get it if I need to.

Problem:
Though I took a lot of care with cutting the foam for the stringer, and even sanded down the cut faces to take out the high spots I could see, I still have a couple of gaps where the foam was uneven - I'm not really sure how to go about getting the cut face totally flat so I cam get a clean glue line.

Any input on either of these problems would be a huge help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for your glue issue, try and rough up both sides, and re glue.

for the uneven areas, don't worry too much, as these will get filled in when you seal the blank.

aslong as your glass job is tight, the stringer will be held inplace fine, and almost be surplus to needs in terms of strength.

looking forward to seeinf the prize